To accelerate a large scale migration project, a key component is establishing a “migration factory” composed of teams, tools and processes to streamline the movement of workloads from on-premises to AWS. The migration factory teams work through a prioritized backlog of workloads based on migration patterns identified in the portfolio discovery and planning process. Where possible we apply known migration and operational patterns to accelerate the movement of workloads, reduce risk and improve the final outcome. With this approach, you will quickly start to achieve the business benefits of lower operating costs and gaining agility and scalability. Once in the cloud, you can focus on optimization of applications, processes, operations and costs.
1. Switch to Cognito on the AWS Console. Make sure that you’re using US-EAST-1 (N. Virginia).
2. Click Manage User Pools button
3. Click the user pool with MigrationFactory suffix
4. Click Users and groups on the left hand side, and click Create User on the users page to create your first user
5. Please use your email address as the user name
6. User should receive an email shortly with the temporary password, and the status of this user in Cognito will be “FORCE_CHANGE_PASSWORD”
7. Click the User Id and add user to a group. By default, there is an “Admin” group, which will give the user permission to manage admin service in the factory.
8. Now you can see that this user is a member of Admin group now, but the status is still “FORCE_CHANGE_PASSWORD”. User need to login to the migration factory to change the password.
You should receive an email with a temporary password for your new created user.
9. Get the Migration Factory URL (MigrationFactoryURL) from the outputs on Event Engine dashboard from task 3. If you’re using your own AWS account, check the Cloudformation output for MigrationImmersionDay-FACTORY stack.
10. Open Chrome, and access MigrationFactoryURL from the browser, you should see the following login screen.
11. Login to the migration factory as the new user, you should see the following password change page.
Password should comply with a minimum of 8 characters, including uppercase, numbers and special characters.
12. After changing the password, you should see a blank pipeline page.
Please execute the following steps on the bastion host, C:\Migrations\Scripts-CE folder is on the bastion host.
1. Open C:\Migrations\Scripts-CE\FactoryEndpoints.json file, and update the endpoints. For LoginApiUrl and UserApiUrl parameter in the file, please get the URL from the Event Engine Dashboard.
|Key||Current Value||Event Engine output Value|
Notepad can be used to edit the files.
Automation tip: On this lab, we’re using Migration Factory as a centralized place to organize and track the migration progress. The intention is to have a dashboard which can help to consolidate all the migration information on a single source of truth